Takara Bio Inc. (President and CEO: Koichi Nakao) announced the midterm management plan from April 2011 to March 2014.
Based on its corporate philosophy – Contribute to the health of mankind through the development of revolutionary biotechnologies such as gene therapy – the Takara Bio Group will focus on three business areas that utilize the group’s core biotechnology: the Genetic engineering research business which is a base that provides stable earnings; the AgriBio business, which is tasked with becoming the segment’s second profitable business; and the Gene medicine business, which is a foundation for future growth.
In this midterm management plan, our goal is to absorb an increase in research and development expenses, to reach record net sales of ¥22.7 billion, and to achieve an operating income of ¥1.3 billion in fiscal 2014. We aim for an unprecedented level of operating income, ordinary income, and net income in fiscal 2012, and to achieve record net sales and profits in fiscal 2013 and 2014.
In the Genetic engineering research business, the group intends to expand its business by actively providing new products and services in the real-time PCR analysis field and the advanced cell biology field-markets that promise growth. As for the AgriBio business, plans call for achieving operating income in fiscal 2012 by increasing sales of health-oriented foods and mushroom products and undertaking effective and efficient expenditure. In the Gene medicine business, we will actively research and develop cell and gene therapy while aiming to increase sales.
|(Millions of Yen)|
|(Millions of Yen)|
|(Millions of Yen)|
|(Millions of Yen)|
While posting continuous profits, implementing selection and concentration in the deployment of management resources, we aim to build the foundation for future growth. Focusing on our three business segments; the Genetic engineering research business, Gene medicine, and AgriBio, we will advance these areas as follows.
(1) Genetic engineering research business
This business is the Takara Bio Group’s core business and earnings base. It sells research reagents and scientific instruments used by biotechnology researchers in universities and companies worldwide, and provides contract research services. In order to further strengthen this business, we intend to actively promote the business as follows;
- Develop new products/increase sales in the real-time PCR analysis field and the advanced cell biology field
- Develop technologies related to next-generation sequencing systems and increase sales of their contract services
- Expand overseas sales by strengthening marketing capabilities
- Advance development of core technologies through collaboration of Takara Bio(Japan), Clontech Laboratories(US), and China;Takara Biotechnology(Dalian)(China).
(2) Gene medicine business
Aiming for the commercialization of gene therapies, we promote clinical development.
- Advance clinical development of HSV-TK gene therapy for leukemia, targeting commercialization in FY2018
- Advance clinical development of TCR gene therapy for cancer, targeting to start clinical trials in FY2014
- Advance clinical development of HIV gene therapy in the U.S. that uses MazF endoribonuclease, targeting to start clinical trial in FY2012
- Advance clinical development of oncolytic virus HF10 in the U.S., targeting commercialization in FY2019
- Expand clinical development support business for bio-pharmaceuticals such as biosafety testing and production of vectors for gene therapy
We will advance our cell therapy business as well as promote clinical development of cancer immunotherapy.
- Conduct clinical reseach of RetroNectin®induced T cell therapy
- Conduct clinical research of Natural Killer cell therapy
- Increase sales of technical support services for cancer immunotherapy, such as RetroNectin®induced T cell therapy (RIT)
- Increase sales of cell culture media/gas permeable bags for cancer immunotherapy
(3) AgriBio business
In relation to health-oriented food and mushrooms, mainly focusing on the development of functional food ingredients, we will actively develop the following businesses.
- Increase BtoB sales by strengthening scientific evidence for health-oriented food ingredients based on their functional constituents, including Gagome kombu (kelp) “fucoidan,” agar “agaro-oligosaccharide,” Ashitaba (angelica herb) “chalcone,” yam (dioscorea esculenta) “YamsgeninTM”, herb (peucedanum japonicum) “isosamidin,”and mushroom “terpene”
- Strengthen quality control/quality assurance systems in order to provide even safer/more reliable products
- Reduce costs by increasing efficiency of production technologies for Hatakeshimeji mushrooms and Honshimeji mushrooms and increase sales
- Establish new cultivation methods for high-value-added mushrooms utilizing genetic information, such as Matsutake mushroom genome
- Expand mushrooms cultivation technique and licensing of proprietary techniques
[ About Takara Bio Inc. ]
Takara Bio Inc. is an innovative biotechnology company based in Shiga, Japan. As a world leader in biotechnology research and development, Takara Bio was the first company to market PCR technology in Japan and is also the developer of the RetroNectin® reagent, which is a world-standard in gene therapy protocols. In addition to providing research reagents and equipment to the life science research market, Takara Bio has active research and product development activities in the fields of gene and cell-based therapy, and agricultural biotechnology; and is committed preventing disease and improving the quality of life for all people through the use of biotechnology. Through strategic alliances with other industry leaders, the Company aims to extend its reach around the world. More information is available at http://www.takara-bio.com.